Monday, May 10, 2010

Practical Religion



"For more than a century, J.C. Ryle has been known for his clear and lively writing on practical and spiritual themes, with the aim of encouraging strong and serious Christian living. With profound biblical insight, Practical Religion reveals what every believer ought to be, do, and expect in their walk with God. Ryle's penetrating comments are as wise and relevant today as they were when he first wrote them."

Contents and Topics:
Self-inquiry, Self-exertion, Reality, Prayer, Bible-Reading, Going to the Table, Charity, Zeal, Freedom, Happiness, Formality, The World, Riches & Poverty, The Best Friend, Sickness, The Family of God, Our Home, Heirs of God, The Great Gathering, The Great Separation, Eternity

You can purchase this book at Grace Books International.

So, I saw this listed as a recommended read in our churches bulletin a couple weeks ago, and I liked the write up for it, so I bought it that day.  I will be starting this book today, and I'm very excited to be encouraged and learn from J.C. Ryle.  My loving husband has encouraged me to try and read a book a month.  Sounds pretty easy, but I'm a slow reader, and forget very easily.  I decided to take on the challenge, not only for discipline, but for spiritual growth that can be granted through God's work in these godly authors.  Once I get done, I'll let you know how it was, and let you know what my next read is!

No comments: